Looting Versailles

Looting Versailles
My first book of poems, just released by Alabaster Leaves Publishing

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Couple of bobo-LINKS

This is a great article - I would've benefited from reading it when I first started getting interested in poetry. Of course, it all seems so obvious now having read so much since then.

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/article/246914

Thank you, Poetry, for publishing it. Would've been better if my poems were in the issue as well, but that can be forgiven :)

The other was this link:

http://www.kenyonreview.org/kr-online-issue/2011-summer/selections/on-poets-on-teaching-a-sourcebook/

The link itself doesn't matter, although the book reviewed sounds really interesting. This portion I think would've benefited me when I first started digging deeply into poetry:

And the next time a student praises clichéd writing as “easy to relate to,” I’ll have Mark Yakich’s response on the tip of my tongue: “If your main claim to a poem is that you can relate to it, you aren’t reading it sufficiently. Poems are not meant to be related to; they are meant to offer you something you didn’t know, experience, or imagine before.” I’ve muddled through an explanation along those lines countless times; it’s not a new idea. 


No comments:

Post a Comment